Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
- UNH Library places: in Durham, 3 branch libraries and Dimond Library (map; home page for all libraries)
- UNH Library resources:
- To find books, journals, films, music: UNH Library Catalog (quick tutorial)
- all physical & online material that you can find by source title, author, keywords
- To find & articles + books by article or book title, authors, keywords, etc.: UNH Library Search Box
- Note: this is not in-depth for engineering or science
- To find articles (in-depth): choose Engineering databases (for help, contact me) or other databases as appropriate
- Get remote (off-campus) access to library resources
- Get general or individualized help with your questions
- Contact your subject librarian, Emily Poworoznek
- Go to UNH Library's Ask-A-Librarian page
- When you're at a library, the front desk staff can help you with course reserves, finding & checking out materials, library policies, making requests, and lots more! If you have a print or scanning question at the engineering and science libraries, the front desk staff can help you; at Dimond, the Academic Technology Service Center can help you.
- What kind of information do you need?
- More about searching for books & media: UNH Library Catalog (and beyond) with Advanced Search, below (Advanced Search is available for: the UNH Library Catalog; Books & Media Worldwide; and Firstsearch Worldcat);
- Example of a keyword search and subject search for the topic of integrated circuits
- Example of a keyword search for words in a title: schaums linear
- Author search, Title search (Halliday, David) and (fundamentals of phys)
- Course Reserve search with an example (phys 407)
- Subject headings... examples: Computers;
- Keywords... examples: Computers;
- "Electronic Digital Computers" (what happens if you add History?)
- Heaviside Oliver Note: Keywords can be in any order, but authors and subjects that are people should be typed in Lastname, Firstname or Lastname, First-initial: Heavidside, O..
- Specialized databases on branch library website (ex. Engineering, Math & CS Library)
- All Library Databases
- Searching for articles in Applied Science & Technology Abstracts (Example)
- Comparison of databases (below)
- Searching for journals (print and electronic): online catalog, A - Z list of electronic journals, JSTOR (Example)
- Tips and logic:
- computer operating system -- can be interpreted as: computer AND operating AND system
"computer operating system" -- is usually interpreted as a phrase (the words adjacent to each other and in order, just as you input them)
computer and "operating system" -- this will be interpreted as the phrase operating system with the word computer somewhere in the entry.
- For any ending, use the wildcard * (asterisk), example: vehic* [vehicle, vehicles, vehicular]
- AND, OR, NOT -- it's Boolean logic (Smile! see tip sheet)
- Managing bibliographies: RefWorks
- Searching the Web: evaluate, compare, and cite your sources
- Searching for images: This is a specialty search that most systems do not support, although some show thumbnails so you can tell if an image is included. Google Images and ScienceDirect's search of Elsevier scholarly journals are two resources. Flipping through books or encyclopedias in the library works, too!
- InterLibrary Loan
- Steps in locating literature (below)
- What do you really do: Flowchart (below)
- If we don't have it
Database comparison (microprocessors)
- Inspec (database) 81,426
- Compendex (database) 79,073
- IEEE Xplore (IEEE articles+) 29,538
- Applied Science & Technology (database) 9,899
- Web of Science (database) 11,449
- Dissertation Abstracts (database) 18,800
- Access Science (encyclopedia) 143
- Amazon (books) 41,503
- Google (web pages) 5,630,000
- Google Scholar (articles) 445,000
- ScienceDirect (Reed Elsevier articles) 62,294
- ScienceDirect image search (Reed Elsevier articles) 11,390
- ACM Digital Library (ACM articles) 12,637
- ACM Guide to Computing Literature (ACM+major sources) 31,370
- JSTOR (articles) 2,474
For other engineering databases, see the master list of all UNH databases .
It's not as complicated as circuit design!
Circuit Design (xkcd Comics)
Remember to ask me (Emily) and library staff for help with library resources, and your professor for help with circuit designs!