1. Divide in to 3-4 groups
2. Use laptop to sign in to Zotero
3. Libarian provides overview of Zotero including plugin
4. Chose a bacteria from the list below. Use ATCC to learn basic information about the bacteria.
5. Use PubMed to find an article related to your bacteria.
6. Import article(s) in to a Zotero account
7. Use features within Zotero to explore scholarly conversation about their bacteria (groups, scholars profiles, related articles button, etc)
Not so pleasant bacteria . . .
Burkholderia cepacia - nasty pathogen of concern from biotechnology safety perspective
https://phil.cdc.gov/Details.aspx?pid=10608 (digitally colorized image)
Yersinia pestis - cause of bubonic plague
Bacillus cereus - commonly found in the environment, but can cause food poisoning
Pseudomonas aeruginosa - water microbe linked to formation of biofilms in industrial water systems
https://phil.cdc.gov/Details.aspx?pid=16876 (artistic rendition, not actual photo)
Nice microbe examples. . .
Vibrio harveyi or Vibrio fischeri- bioluminescent marine bacteria
Lactobacillus acidophilus - bacteria in human flora; used in production of milk products
Saccharomyces cerevisiae - yeast used in alcohol production
Cupriavidus metallidurans - these bacteria have the power to excrete gold nuggets