Skip to Main Content
Cite References in your Paper and Create a Bibliography
- Open Microsoft Word and type your paper. (It also works with Open Office)
- When you want to add a citation, you will find the Zotero toolbar in a number of places, depending on your operating system, version of Word, and version of Zotero.
- a. In the Zotero tab at the top of the screen.
- b. In the Add-Ins tab at the top of the screen
- c. Hovering around the screen as it's own toolbar (labeled with a "Z").
- d. In the Scrips menu (the lighting bold icon on a Mac),
- Click on the Add/Edit Citation button. This will look different on different systems, but you can hover over any icon to see what it does.
- The Z bar will open (you may be asked to choose your citation style first). Search for a document by keyword by typing into the box, or click the "Z" and select classic view to see a list of your documents.
- Select a citation and click Ok. The citation will be inserted.
- To change the citation style, click the document preferences. If you do not see your preferred citation style, you can add more to the list by opening Zotero, clicking Edit >Preferences>Cite>Styles Tab and clicking Get additional styles. You can choose from thousands of styles to install.
- To create a bibliography, move your cursor to where you would like the bibliography inserted, and click the Add/Edit Bibliography button.
- To remove a document from the bibliography, delete it and hit Refresh. All references to it will also be deleted.